With the pressing need to save species, scientists, conservationists, land managers, governments and funding agencies are feeling an increasing need to formalize biodiversity research and knowledge. As the number of prestigious institutions grows, biodiversity professionals will need to cross-pollinate their work to avoid duplication and optimize use of scarce resources. To this end, I have compiled a directory of biodiversity institutes around the world. The directory will enable researchers to see at a glance the institutions that are directly engaged in biodiversity research. I hope the list will be of use as follows:
- Young professionals looking for positions
- Established scientists looking for collaborative projects
- Interested citizens who want to know more about biodiversity research in their country or region
- Funding agencies who are looking for worthwhile organizations to fund biodiversity research
- Commercial organizations who need access to biodiversity expertise to help them engage in biodiversity offset programs
The directory includes only basic information at present: the institution name, URL, country and year of inception. The list currently includes a total of 27 organizations. If interest is shown, more information can be added as needed. Please bear in mind I did not include the many university departments, research organizations whose workers are involved in biodiversity research. Nor did I include institutions with a broader mission, since I simply wanted to catalog those organizations that were set up with a primary mission related to biodiversity.
The data is available as a Google spreadsheet and anyone is welcome to edit it to complete missing information and to add their own institution.
You can see the list here: CLICK TO VIEW CURRENT DATA IN THE BIODIVERSITY INSTITUTE DIRECTORY
If you’d like to add an institution please complete the form with the information mentioned above. CLICK TO ENTER INFORMATION INTO THE BIODIVERSITY INSTITUTE DIRECTORY